Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Revolutionary Lamp

This lamp has been in my living room for a long time. As you can see there are a lot of detailing along the lamp stand suggesting a certain class. A lot detailing and art that was carved around an object, walls, or floor was a sign of wealth. In the middle of the lamp there are groves going vertically up the lamp. In my opinion the middle of the lamp echoes Greek and Roman columns. If I had to pick one I would defintinely choose ionic since there is not enough detailing to suggest otherwise. I feel that this is revolutionary because it is kind of like the revival of Roman and Greek architecture. While observing the lamp shade I noticed a smalling detail along the bottom. It looks like woven braided yarn dyed gold and ivory. The lamp shade is not perfectly round at the bottom. It has little indentations around the it. This could go along with the theory of reform because most normal lamp shades are round at the bottom and very boring. This change was probably more pleasing to the eye.

1 comment:

  1. Good observations and conclusions. Who would you say made it? When? Can you find any manufacturing marks.

    ReplyDelete