Saturday, April 7, 2012

IAR 221: Good Design for All

Downtown
Downtown Greensboro
In my opinion downtown Greensboro is good design for all. The reason why I chose downtown Greensboro is because I define it not only as a place, but also as a space. When I'm downtown I observe so many different aspects that cater to people's needs such as the bus stops, the bike lanes, street parking, restaurants, work buildings, outside venders, etc. I usually run a lot of my errands in downtown Greensboro and one of the things I appreciate is close vicinity of the different types of places I need to go. Most of the time they are walking distance, which is very convenient. Coming from the country where you have to drive everywhere, this is a big deal. I also love the live nature of downtown. There are a mixture of newly built building as well as run down buildings. In my opinion this contrast shows the history and character of Greensboro. 
A lot of different special events happen in downtown Greensboro. Whether its a concert, a new grocery store's grand opening, or festival, people begin to gather and make downtown come alive. To me this kind of reminds me of the Agora in ancient Greek times, where everyday business and life took place.

Source
greensboronchotels.com

1 comment:

  1. What about quiet spaces or areas where someone could relax? Does downtown Greensboro have areas like that? And how does the scale of our downtown district effect these feelings? What if it was bigger? Smaller? Good views overall.

    ReplyDelete